----- Original Message -----
> > > VPNs... done like 2 years ago. From what we discussed the connectivity
> > > checking is not really perfect in NM, since it assumes that DHCP
> > > provided resolvers are in resolv.conf because NM obviously uses system's
> > > stub resolver.
> > >
> > > If there are any valid integration pieces, please be specific.
> >
> > I don't want, in the Network panel, to be talking to 2 pieces of software
> > that
> > I'll need to aggregate myself to get a complete picture.
>
> That’s kind of surprising; users should see a view that makes sense to them,
> not a reflection of the underlying implementation stack.  Isn’t it anyway a
> pretty common situation to talk to two or more services in one dialog? E.g.
> the sharing panel definitely talks to several services.

Wrong example ;)

It talks to gnome-settings-daemon's sharing plugin which hides the
implementation details of how to start/stop services and the various networks.

> I agree that you don’t want to talk to two pieces of software which tell you
> different answers to the same question—but AFAICS that should be an argument
> in favor of integrating with dnssec-trigger directly instead of having
> NetworkManager proxy (and possibly modify) everything. (Well, assuming
> dnssec-trigger and NM talk to each other enough to keep in sync, but the
> dnssec-trigger<->NM interface does not need to be the same as GUI<->NM nor
> GUI<->dnssec-trigger one.)

And use dnssec-trigger to configure VPNs or Wi-Fi? :)

We really want to talk to only one service here, and NetworkManager could
provide
us with per-connection settings for whether to accept insecure DNSes,
configuration
storage, system-wide settings, etc.