On Thu, Aug 06, 2015 at 10:03:00AM -0400, Robert Kuska wrote:
> [...]
This problem is covered extensively in the guidelines:

  If the executables provide the same functionality independent of
  whether they are run on top of Python 2 or Python 3, then only one
  version of the executable should be packaged. On releases up to and
  including F21, this was the python 2 implementation. Python3 should
  be used in F22 and later if supported by upstream. [...]
  Transitioning from python2 to python3 is left to individual package
  maintainers[...]

The switch as "default" was accepted as
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Python_3_as_Default.

> While /usr/bin/python points to /usr/bin/python2 and python-foo provides
> python2 version
> of the foo package I would expect binary foo to run on python2.
Fedora is finally switching to Python 3. E.g. /usr/bin/dnf now uses Python 3,
and a lot of other things also.

> This applies for modules binaries such as pytest (nosetests, pip, ...) where
> is
> difference between running python2 and python3 version of the binary.
For those cases guidelines say that both versions should be packaged.

> Currently we should have non versioned binaries to run on python3 only for
> python
> applications (devassistant) where both python2 and python3 version of the
> application
> provide same functionality.
Yes.

> Therefore I suggest to switch order of pyX_install macros.
Eeee, no. Let's use Python 3 by default.

Zbyszek