On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 12:18:15PM +0100, Tom Hughes wrote:
> According to http://www.gnu.org/software/ncurses/ the new ABI should include
> symbol versioning, which would hopefully avoid the need for a repeat of this
> pain in the future, but as far as I can see none of the symbols in the
> current F23 build are versioned?

The new ncurses libs are in rawhide only. The symbol versioning is
disabled by default and it's not enabled it in our spec. Enabling it
is easy, but if we wanted to disable it later, it would require
immediate rebuild of all ncurses applications, so I'd like to be sure
it is a good idea before doing so.

I'm not sure if it would be possible to use symbol versioning for
compatibility when there are changes in definition of structures like
cchar_t, as there are between ABI 5 and ABI 6. I think the upstream
intention is to use it to mark new symbols, not compatibility.

Hiding private symbols is definitely useful, but with the versioning
itself I think there could be some drawbacks, e.g. binaries built on
distros using the versioning won't run on distros not using it.

Also, the number of different versions the symbols use seems to be
quite large, so there could be an increase in the rpmdb and yum repo
sizes. I guess that's not really a problem.

--
Miroslav Lichvar