There can be alternative authorities, and you could opt to choose them
nstead.  It's really a question of having the option of not relying on
Mozilla's decisions.  It's not a choice of either each individual's
own keys or the "original authority who's the one true authority."
Self-signing means choosing who to trust.

The alternative authorities become explicit targets from the
perspective of Mozilla, of course.  So political commitment is
entailed.

It should be noted that this distinction is important: the legal
tradition does NOT hold that the only valid authority regarding what
you can do with a work is the author.  There's lots you can do that
the author doesn't authorize; and authors only have specific statutory
exclusive rights.

Among other things, this reflects a respect for the fact that
information as such is not subject to copyright; just the originality
of a work is.  However, we are at a phase where an attempt to
institute enforcement of the maximalist intepretation of copyright is
imminent.

Seth