On 10/09/15 17:46, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 10.09.2015 um 17:38 schrieb David Sommerseth:
>> On 10/09/15 15:31, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>> what in the world is that garbage instead a clear and simple log as
>>> /var/log/yum.log just listing installed, removed and updated packages?
>>>
>>> frankly it's impossible to write worksheets as admin what happened in
>>> the last few weeks with such needless verbose logging
>>
>> Did you take a look at /var/log/dnf.rpm.log?
>
> no, because i did not assume it's existence

Presumptions never reveals the truth.  Honestly, it took me 5 seconds to
figure out this.  This rant takes me minutes.

> one example of a not well thought change

That's an opinion - without much food for thought.

> yum -> dnf
> yum.log -> dnf.log
>
> that would be logical (given that it's still not understandable change
> the name) but that new log should be called "dnf.debug.log" and frankly
> *not* exist in a enduser *default* install

That is how you would solve it.  Just bite the bitter apple, that not
everybody thinks in the same ways as you do.  For me looking for
/var/log/dnf* actually made the dnf.rpm.log file the obvious place to
look for where rpm operations was involved.  But hey, that's me!

Life usually moves forward and things evolve - embrace it!
Disgruntlement mostly makes just you unhappy.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth