Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
> IMHO  all we need is to support  multiple version of same library
> to be installable  -- that's mine point why  usability of Fedora
> is miles behind other distros.

Then you open the doors to symbol conflicts (see my reply to Adam Jackson
elsewhere in this thread).

And the Debian way that just lets you keep your libfoo1 from even an older
RELEASE of Debian, with no updates whatsoever, not even security updates
(because there is simply no libfoo1 in the repositories for the current
version if the libfoo source package now produces libfoo2 instead), does not
work either. Compatibility packages MUST be maintained or they become a
major security issue.

The compatibility libraries also partly defeat the space savings that can be
had from unbundling.

Compatibility libraries must only be a last resort, if it is really not
possible to port the packages to the latest version. By default, we ALWAYS
need to port to the latest version.

        Kevin Kofler