On 10/09/2015 09:17 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
On 8 October 2015 at 17:04, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kof...@chello.at> wrote:
Christopher Meng wrote:
IMO motif should 'Obsoletes' lesstif in Fedora since motif is free now.

The reason we kept lesstif even after OpenMotif was finally freed is because
OpenMotif only implements the Motif 2 API, whereas lesstif implemented the
Motif 1 API. Back then, a lot of Motif applications did not compile with
Motif 2.

A lot of applications still do not mainly because by the time
OpenMotif was out.. "Motif" was dead except for legacy computer code
that a lot of research institutes still use. It looks from the amount
of porting that has been done in this thread that a lot of those
problems are easier to fix now?

 From the people who did the porting was it a quick fix or a bunch of patches?

As far as the packages I touched are concerned, the "porting effort" was very low.

The effort basically was reflecting the packaging dep-naming changes into the specs.

I did not have to apply any changes to the packages' source code. My guess is, on the code-level, today's "Motif" is sufficiently backward compatible, the packages already saw testing against Motif or even been developed on Motif (and then ported to lesstif)[1]. I point, I which makes me wonder, is Fedora seemingly being late in the switch to Motif in comparison to other distros.

A problem hiding is package installation conflicts between the *-devel package of different versions of the lesstif, openmotif and motif packages. Therefore, I tried to stay with lesstif on fedora < 24 and switch to motif only on fedora >= 24.

I know, we are late in the release schedule, but I am considering to switching at least Inventor to motif on fc23, as well - It's unimportant enough to most users, but is important to me ;)

Ralf

[1] In the ole' days, lesstif almost always had been the troublesome part, which required app-code to me modified, because of missing features or incompatibilities ;)