On Fri, 2015-10-30 at 11:41 -0400, John Dulaney wrote:

> As Halfline points out, the decision needs to be made whether to allow
> gui applications to be run as root.  I figured I'd bring this up for
> discussion in the hopes that a decision may be made whether or not to
> allow this.

Anyone running any X (or wayland) application as root in their desktop
session is completely bonkers and deserves every consequence of their
poor decision.

> In the instance that the decision is made to not allow gui applications
> root access, then we will also need to figure out a sane way to have
> applications that require more than the usual set of user priviledges to
> continue to work across multiple compositors and window managers that
> may or may not have the necessary authentication agents built-in.

Like Bastien said, we've had this for ages.  Typically people resist
the solutions here because they consider it "bloat" or "unnecessary
complexity"; the irony is not lost on me.

- ajax