On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 6:20 PM, Andrew Lutomirski <l...@mit.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 7:05 AM, drago01 <drag...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 4:30 AM, Andrew Lutomirski <l...@mit.edu> wrote:
>>> Since the old proposal to have the bootloader automatically enumerate
>>> boot options never went anywhere, can we do the next best thing?
>>>
>>> Specifically, these days grub2-mkconfig appears to produce output
>>> that's functionally identical to what grubby generates.  Can we switch
>>> new-kernel-pkg to just regenerate the grub2 config using
>>> grub2-mkconfig instead of using grubby?
>>>
>>> Debian has worked like this forever, and IMO it's superior in pretty
>>> much all respects.  There are already nice config hooks for making
>>> custom changes, and they're a lot more reliable than trusting grubby
>>> to do what you expect it to do.
>>
>> Well mkconfig can produce a configuration that does not actually work
>> when grub2 itself gets updated (in which case the bootloader does not
>> get rewritten).
>> Until this is fixed grub2-mkconfig is dangerous and should not be used.
>
> I have never seen this happen on any distro.  In any event, even if
> there's a case in which mkconfig screws up, Fedora is unlikely to be
> able to install in the first place.

No that has nothing to do with the installation process.

The events are:

1) You install Fedora -- grub2-mkconfig creates a config that matches
the bootloader
2) The grub package gets updated / upgraded --- grub2-mkconfig is no
longer guaranted to generate a config file that works with the grub
that is actually installed (i.e you'd have to rerun grub2-install to
be sure).

Yes in most of the cases that works but it is fragile and therefore
dangerous to do that by default.