On Mon, 07.12.15 15:31, Björn Persson (Bjorn@rombobjörn.se) wrote:

> Lennart Poettering <mzerq...@0pointer.de> wrote:
> > You *have* to use the local DNS servers by default, even if they are
> > crap.
>
> I for one want my laptop to be suspicious of random DNS servers it
> encounters in public places, and bypass them if they're found to be
> lying.

Well, if you are knoweledgeable enough to understand the problem, then
you hould also be able to install/configure dnssec yourself. But I am
pretty sure that the typical user is neither knowledgeable enough
about this to make the decision, nor does he really care...

As I understood the feature was posted to make something the default
in Fedora, and I am just concerned about that new default.

> It seems to me that the system needs to ask the user whether they are
> in a public hotspot that they're using only as a way to access the
> Internet, or whether they're visiting a friend and want to access
> internal servers. I don't see a way to tell the difference reliably
> without any user interaction.

I think that would be pretty bad UI. You shouldn't ask users questions
they likely won't grok. In fact, you better shouldn't ask users
technical questions at all...

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat