On Monday 07 December 2015 14:57:36 Paul Wouters wrote:
> But you gain nothing with waiting. There is no "fix" to wait for. Those
> stolen domains are broken and they will start to fail. The only difference
> could be that fedora won't be the first where this breaks on, but I
> thought "First" was one of our motto's ?

Yes, as long as the "first" to fail use-case isn't too massive.

So I have a question about another very common use-case:
 * Many times, Linux users or groups are a small "island" inside a big
traditional corporation.

 * Usually, it translates to MS products: lousy DHCP server + lousy DNS server,
managed via Active Directory (TM).

 * I think we should test this kind of setup and have very clear policy and
instructions how to deal with it.

 * Remember, in most of these places the Linux team hardly knows who manage all
the Windows stuff,
   let alone affect corporate internal policies (e.g: internal domain names and
DHCP setup).

 * Failing in this kind of environment is shooting both Fedora and DNSSEC
adoption in the foot.

IMO, when introducing DNSSEC as default it should not be *enforcing*:
 * There's a lesson to be learned by what happened to SELinux in Fedora-2
   (I personally do have SELinux "enforcing" on all my systems, but many would
never try it again).

 * It's far better to accept "broken" DNS servers *at first* and just warn.
   (I know warning end-users isn't effective, but its important as a stop-gap
   until we know how such a feature affect millions of users in the real world.

 * E.g: "WARNING: the yellow icon is a reminder that your local network use
non-secure technology <link-to-further-explanation>"
   (someone may have an idea how to warn server people [/etc/issue?])

 * BTW: hits on the above link would give us *some* measurement about people
having problems/investigating this.

Bye,

--
Oron Peled                                 Voice: +972-4-8228492
o...@actcom.co.il                  http://users.actcom.co.il/~oron

"A standard for copy protection is as premature as a standard for
teleportation."
--- Noted computer security expert and Princeton University Professor Edward
Felten.