On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 7:52 AM, Michael Schroeder <m...@suse.de> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 12:58:41PM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

> > >I think the answer in general is no, you cannot be guaranteed that
> Requires:
> > >get installed before %post runs.  That's one reason why Requires(post)
> > >exists
> >
> > sounds terrible
> >
> > what's with the "Require" of a "Requires(post)" to guarantee that
> > the "Requires(post)" *really* work sucessful? sounds fragile
>
> Relax, the difference between Requires and Requires(post) is rather
> small. It only makes a difference when breaking dependency cycles,
> and in that case there's no correct solution anyway.
>
> I.e. if package A has "Requires: B" and package B has
> "Requires(post): A", there's really no correct order.
>
> "First A then B" is incorrect because "A Requires B" may mean that
> B must by 100% installed (with postinstall scriptlets) for A to work,
> thus A may still not work in B's post script.
>
> Cheers,
>   Michael.
>
> --
> Michael Schroeder                                   m...@suse.de
> SUSE LINUX GmbH,           GF Jeff Hawn, HRB 16746 AG Nuernberg
> main(_){while(_=~getchar())putchar(~_-1/(~(_|32)/13*2-11)*13);}

​As I recall, I believe there was a way in RPM at some point to declare a
dependency that *must* be unpacked and installed prior to ​starting to do
anything with a package, but I don't remember what is was. Debian has the
equivalent as "Pre-Depends", which essentially guarantees that it is
unpacked prior to starting the installation (and running associated
scriptlets). I think it was called "PreReq", but I vaguely remember hearing
at one point that this doesn't actually work anymore?