On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 01:24:27AM +0100, Haïkel wrote:

> > RWMJ> Couldn't it use inotify (or whatever we're using these days to
> > RWMJ> detect filesystem changes)?  So when you drop in the unit file,
> > RWMJ> systemd notices and reloads.

This is answered below (systemd is not running), but let me add one
more reason why inotify wouldn't work: you cannot blindly reload
units, because sometimes a set of units have dependencies between
them, so you need to first install the full set, and then reload.

> > Well, the point is that systemd isn't running or even installed when the
> > daemons are installed.  The question is what happens when systemd comes
> > up later.  (And yes, systemd could use rpm file triggers so that we can
> > drop the scriptlets entirely.  That would be great, but it's an entirely
> > separate discussion.)

No, we can't. Using file triggers allows us to reduce the rpm
scriptlets in packages a lot, but not entirely. Only the package
scriptlets know whether some service is installed or upgraded and have
enough information to properly support presets and restarts.

> > I know this thread has gone in a completely different direction, but the
> > original message was about modifying or removing the dependencies.  Can
> > we drop dependencies on systemd and still have a system that works as
> > expected if systemd gets installed later?  If so, then dropping the
> > dependency doesn't actually hurt anything since the kernel will still
> > pull it in, and thus the other arguments about this become kind of
> > pointless.
>
> We could waste time bickering but Jason made a point.
> kernel-core requires systemd, so all running instances of Fedora
> (except for containers) have systemd installed,
> and since our systemd scriptlets are non failing, we could safely drop
> the requirements in other packages.

You seem to be missing normal containers: in those there is not kernel
but systemd is and pretty much all services are running.

Zbyszek