On 21.12.2015 08:23, Tom Hughes wrote:
> On 21/12/15 01:36, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
>
>> I'm currently looking into using npm v3 with nodejs v4. The problem I've
>> run into is that npm is apparently part of the main nodejs package which
>> effectively joins them at the hip for no apparent good reason.
>>
>> Upstream ships npm with nodejs because they need npm to bootstrap the
>> environment and cannot rely on a higher level dependency mechanism
>> because there is none. As a result they encourage to simply install a
>> new npm by replacing the old one.
>>
>> In an rpm based environment however this does not work because the files
>> are owned by the rpm and any reinstall or update will overwrite these
>> files again with the ones from the rpm. On the other hand rpm has its
>> own dependency resolution so the bootstrapping issue doesn't exists.
>>
>> As a result I would like to see npm separated from nodejs so that
>> alternative versions can be installed in the same way that some packages
>> require a mail transfer agent but not a specific one.
>> For nodejs this would mean that by default the npm version that is now
>> bundled gets pulled in by default but that the user has the option to
>> specify an explicit package (like npm v3) that can satisfy the npm
>> dependency.
>
> I'm not really sure what exactly it is you're asking here...
>
> Who exactly is it that you want to "separate" npm from nodejs? Fedora
> already ignores the npm that is bundled with nodejs and instead packages
> it by packaging all the modules that make up npm directly from their own
> sources, with a seprate srpm for each module.
>
> As far as nodejs 4 / npm 3 goes we (the Node.js SIG referred to in
> Peter's answer) are already working on it - we have nodejs 4.2.3 built
> in a side tag and are working on the npm stack currently. Current
> working status of the npm dependency stack update is at:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Node.js/npm_update_status
>
> But as Peter said, the nodejs list is probably the best place to ask any
> questions.

It seems I have confused the nodejs package of Fedora with the one from
Nodesource which actually puts npm right into the core nodejs rpm itself.

Looking at the Koji builds I can see that npm isn't bundled in the core
rpm and since there now exists an official LTS release of nodejs that
should also deal with the fact that Fedora version was quite old which
was the reason for installing the Nodesource package in the first place.

Sorry for the confusion.

Regards,
  Dennis