>  - If the socket availability doesn't matter, remove the nohup,
redirection, fork stuff and use a "Type = simple" service. Presuming that
the java process runs in foreground this should be fine.

passing -f to solr or start-foreground to zookeeper would short-circuit the
"nohup" as it would use "exec java blah blah" like this

start-foreground)
    ZOO_CMD=(exec "$JAVA")
    "${ZOO_CMD[@]}" "-Dzookeeper.log.dir=${ZOO_LOG_DIR}"
"-Dzookeeper.root.logger=${ZOO_LOG4J_PROP}" \

which is my preferred way

> - If the java process runs in background anyway,

no it's not. ZK's java process is a foreground process

> - If you need to socket(s) to be available and type = forking doesn't
make it (exits parent to early, doesn't fork) the code should be fixed by
teaching it to issue a sd_notify (-> Type = notify).

can we do this using some "side" command like "ExecStartPost="