On 18 January 2016 at 01:32, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbys...@in.waw.pl> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 12:55:54AM +0100, Heiko Adams wrote:
>> But it seems to be broken since Feb 2015, which is IMHO unacceptable
>> since a default package manager and all of its features have to work
>> absolutely reliable.
>
> When was the last time you saw a program bigger then /bin/true that was
> "absolutely reliable"? Your implicit premise that yum was bug free
> is completely bogus, just look for yum bugs in bugzilla [1].

xz
tar
cp

Being reliable might be difficult, but it is achievable, and the more
core a tool is the more important it is that it approaches
reliability.

> It seems that with dnf we are currently in the phase of fine-tuning
> user interaction. The resolver works nicely, there is a growing system
> of plugins based on a stable API, the codebase was ported to the
> current version of python, speed is decent most of the time... There
> *are* things to fix, but calling for the return of yum is a complete
> waste of the time of everbody on this list.

So there's no need to fight hyperbole with hyperbole.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk