If you're on freshly installed Fedora 23 (x86-64), then

   dnf install gtk3-devel.x86_64

gets you everything you need to compile a simple Gtk3 application[1].

However on the same host if you do:

   dnf install gtk3-devel.i686

then there's a lot missing before you can compile a 32 bit Gtk3
application[2].  I had to install the following dependencies (found by
tedious trial-and-error) before I could compile it:

   dnf -y install
{pango,pixman,zlib,libpng,expat,mesa-libEGL,libX11,libdrm,libxcb,libXau,libXdamage,libXfixes,libXxf86vm,libXext,mesa-libGL,libXrender,harfbuzz,graphite2,gdk-pixbuf2,atk,cairo-gobject,libXinerama,libXi,libXrandr,libXcursor,libXcomposite,wayland,libwayland-client,libxkbcommon,libwayland-cursor,mesa-libwayland-egl,libepoxy,at-spi2-atk,at-spi2-core,dbus,glib2,glibc}-devel.i686

Is this a bug or is it not expected this would work or I am doing it wrong?

IMO, this is supposed to work => Bug

The big question would be: Where?

Ralf