On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 03:34:34PM +0200, Yanko Kaneti wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-01-21 at 09:38 +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> > > IMO trying to get this (i686 development environment on x86_64
> > > native
> > > install) to work reliably and chasing down all the corner cases is
> > > futile, leads to confusion instead of improving the developer
> > > experience in any significant way compared to using mock and should
> > > be
> > > declared unsupported.
> >
> > The logical consequence of this is we would get rid of multilib
> > entirely.
>
> Not really. Runtime multilib is quite valuable feature, as any user of
> closed source blobs (Steam!!) could attest.

Hmmm.  Do we care about closed source blobs?

Actually I really want 'dnf install gtk3-devel.i686' to work, because
the alternatives (mock, virtualization) are not very good solutions
because they are difficult to automate.

I'm trying to build a 32 bit virt-p2v binary.  virt-p2v is free
software.  Building a 32 bit binary is a useful thing to do since the
binary is meant to be copied to ancient (pre-2004) physical hardware
in order to virtualize what's running on that hardware.

In the context of Koji or users doing `./configure && make' you can't
really fire up a chroot or VM to do part of the build.

Rich.