The issue described in the article was fixed by requiring an absolute
path in core_pattern (If I understand it correctly).

If core_pattern is unsafe, the process is not dumped at all  (man 5 proc).

The kernel commit adds a warning, because kernel was silently ignoring
crashes and no one could notice.

Regards,
Jakub