On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 12:35 PM, Honza Šilhan <jsil...@redhat.com> wrote:
> TL;DR
>
> Hawkey project [1] is being obsoleted, use libhif [2] instead. For hawkey
> Python API consumers,
> the transition should be painless.
>

> Why we have done that?
>
> Nowadays there are three major consumers of hawkey - DNF, PackageKit and
> rpm-ostree. The hawkey
> API was not in final form yet and was changed constantly based on demands
> from these package
> managers. We have merged hawkey project inside libhif and hidden some of not
> yet stable API.
>
> Merging hawkey into libhif was another step to move more code base of DNF
> into C. DNF will reuse
> some of the existing code of libhif. Having this shared library can eliminate
> inconsistencies
> about installed packages when DNF and PackageKit is used alternately.
> Moreover we would like to
> reuse the same metadata for all package managers to save your bandwidth.

Could you please elaborate (perhaps in a separate thread) the full
desire and requirements behind rewriting DNF into C?  The first link
in your email says the initiative is started, but it doesn't really
explain why aside from the libhif step.

I can think of many reasons for doing this, but it would probably be
better coming from the development team doing the work.  It would also
be nice if you could explain how the recently proposed and accepted
system-python Change plays into this long term.  I believe DNF was one
of the targeted "system tools" that would use it, so if that isn't
really going to be the case it would be good to know.

josh