Gary C Martin wrote:
> Just wanted to chip in with a thought of a simpler activity sim type
> that could be a low hanging fruit to port or code for the XO. I do
> love the idea of 'crayon physics' and all the other physics sim
> spinoffs that are all the fashion just now, but a lot of fun/
> exploration can be had with some the old school sandbox type
> simulations.

Yes.  The thing I like about crayon is that its immediately accessible,
and its obvious what's happening; a few minutes of experimentation will
tell you everything you need to know about making things, and yet
there's a fairly large range of interesting things you can achieve.
There's no distinction between "modelling" and "simulation", aside from
having a "pause" button.  But from that base you can easily envisage
adding more complex types of items like linkages and motors to allow
more flexiblity.

>  Some of the examples at the below URL are way over
> developed/cluttered (too many material types, unnecessary additions
> etc), but a more careful design would make a good, single and multi
> user sharable activity:
>
>       http://fallingsandgame.com/viewtopic.php?t=1875

Yes, these kinds of literal sandbox games are fun too...