Hi Kate,

Please consider the ergonomic and safety aspects of this learning activity.
I remember well how my piano teacher provided protective oversight by
watching my activities even during a short, 30-minute, weekly lesson.
She had me pause and rest for a couple of minutes, after about 15 minutes of
continuous or even shorter periods of intense keyboarding.

If you could incorporate code to accommodate an algorithm that monitors
typing intensity, such as, keystroke rate and continuity, this could be used
to issue appropriate reminders to the user to rest their hands, eyes, and
other body parts from intense activity.

A simple algorithm might be one that monitors the exponentially weighted
moving average of time between keystrokes based on accumulation of the
output of a timer counter that is read at each keystroke.

Some calibration of the work model parameters with actual use data will be
needed to set reasonable triggers for the rest reminders.

Having such an "on-board safety coach" would be of great advantage in
building an awareness of the body's physiology and it's limits, and
contribute another important lesson for the child's safe growth and
maturation.

I've posted a formula for the exponentially weighted moving average on the
OLPC wiki at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User_talk:FGrose#Keystroke_monitoring
.

There is also some discussion of XO ergonomics at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User_talk:FGrose#Ergonomics.2Fsafety.

Please write if you would like more assistance.

Best wishes,      Frederick Grose, MPH, CIH

 The goal of this project is to deliver an activity that allows