Tony,

I have some good news on TTS with Read Etexts.  It turns out that
speech-dispatcher is available through yum update, and it does work on
the XO.  If you follow the instructions at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Read_Etexts#Using_Text_to_Speech you should be
able to get Read Etexts to do TTS with working highlighting.

Now the bad news:

1).  You're going to have to adjust the Rate using the Speech toolbar
tab down so that highlighting can keep up with speech.
2).  Read Etexts does not pause between paragraphs and may not pause
between sentences.  I *really* need to fix this.
3).  My test environment for developing Read Etexts does not have TTS
working properly yet.  It worked when I was using Xubuntu, but I cleared
that off and replaced it with Fedora 10, which unlike the XO uses pulse
audio.  You can configure speech-dispatcher to use pulse-audio, and it
will seem to work, but not for long.  That's been my experience so far,
anyway.  Without a robust TTS test environment I'm not going to be able
to improve on what I have for awhile.  I haven't given up yet.
4).  You need to start the speech-dispatcher service using the Terminal
before you can use TTS.  I know damned well that there is a way to start
this when the XO boots up, but I don't know how to do it.  Perhaps one
of the others on the mailing list can suggest something.

My wife is impressed that kids in Nepal might be using an Activity I
wrote, and after seeing my demo of it she agreed the kids deserved
better.  So she may tolerate more hours of basement hacking than she
normally does.

I hope you'll try out Read Etexts with speech-dispatcher installed and
let me know what you think.

Thanks,

James Simmons