Tony,

I did some more work on Read Etexts this weekend and have published a
bundle for version 8 on the Wiki.  I think that this, along with the
instructions I provided for installing speech-dispatcher, should meet
your needs.  If it does, tell your friends, if not, tell me.

A fellow named Alesky Lim who is working on the Sugar on a Stick project
created a patch to add a Play/Pause button to the Speech tab.  His patch
also refactored much of my code and introduced some bugs, which I was
able to fix.  The new button makes it more obvious how to stop and start
speech, and the checkmark button is still available for when the XO is
in its ebook reader configuration.

I created new .po files for i18n.  The originals I had were just copies
of the ones the original Read activity had.  I never tried to test them,
and they would not have worked if I had.  I had assumed that i18n worked
like the resource bundles in Java do, but they are a bit more complex
than that.  I'm trying to get my stuff into pootle so all the strings
can be translated.  I want to create a .po file for Nepali too, but I
don't know the two character language code for that language.  When I
figure it out I'll add it.

The problem with speech-dispatcher typing up /dev/dsp turned out to be
an mplayer problem, not a speech-dispatcher problem.  I always compile
mplayer from source so I can play every available codec, and while I
compiled in support for ALSA in fact it defaults to using OSS, which it
cannot do while speech-dispatcher is running.  If I try to force alsa
with the -ao option it doesn't report any conflict but no sound comes
out of the speakers.  Same thing if I compile in pulse-audio support and
use that.  Maybe the problem is that I have more than one sound card
installed.  In any case, what ever it is is not a speech-dispatcher
problem and the XO should not be affected.

James Simmons