Late last year Gary and others volunteered to test my 802b1 build,
with a nice test practice from Gary of drawing spirals. It took me a
while to get back onto this (apologies - real life intruded in a big
way), but I have been working on this again, hoping to close it.

I took 4 laptops (2 with ALPS, 2 w Synaptics) and did my own 802 vs
802B1 bakeoff, following the spiral trail. Results -

* No jumpiness for me in the least -- probably because it's winter here.

* No observable regressions in the touchpad code -- maybe 802B1 is
marginally better, but the more I test the less conclusive it is.
Specially when I undo the xset changes...

* Going from xset 7/4 0 to 7/4 1 did not make a noticeable improvement
-- and does bring the drawback that a fast finger swipe no longer gets
you across the screen. This is a usability regression, and I don't
have much evidence to show to counter it.

I did read in Gary's email that there was a reference to a big
sensitivity difference between 802 on one hand and the F11 build and
802B1 on the other. I cannot find this big sensitivity difference.
Happy to try again if anyone can suggest what to attempt.

So for the 8.2.2 release, current plan is:

* The new kernel (with modular psmouse, with the new code) stays.
* xset goes back to 7/4 0

thanks all for the continued help and patience.

cheers,

 martin.langh...@gmail.com
 mar...@laptop.org -- School Server Architect
 - ask interesting questions