On Aug 24, 2010, at 11:24 AM, Richard A. Smith wrote:

> On 08/24/2010 10:13 AM, Reuben K. Caron wrote:
>
> > Consider the benefits of using open source software versus our
> closed
> > source firmware and partnering with communities like Freifunk whose
> > network is ~ 800 node, guifi.net is almost 10k nodes in Barcelona,
> > Athens Wireless is 5k nodes.
>
> The largest of our mesh problems did not have to do with scalability
> on sheer number of nodes but rather scalability in density.  Is
> there any information available on how these networks perform when
> there are 50 - 100 of them next all in the same room or in adjacent
> rooms?
>
> In those scenarios we run into RF density issues even when using APs.

 From what I understand, OLSR has a better mechanism for maintaining
the "mesh information." If you recall any change in mesh was
previously broadcasted to all listeners. OLSR is configurable. For
instance, information would only be broadcasted to two levels of one
devices immediate neighbor not the whole mesh cloud. Another issue we
had was maintaining mesh information in a limited memory space on the
WLAN module; OLSR would now process that information.