On Aug 24, 2010, at 7:11 PM, Reuben K. Caron wrote:

> On Aug 24, 2010, at 11:24 AM, Richard A. Smith wrote:
>
>> The largest of our mesh problems did not have to do with scalability on
>> sheer number of nodes but rather scalability in density.  Is there any
>> information available on how these networks perform when there are 50 - 100
>> of them next all in the same room or in adjacent rooms?
>
> Here is a link to a paper that actually tested in a physical 49 node lab with
> various configurations:
>
> http://dev.laptop.org/~reuben/Elsevier2008_OLSR_compare.pdf
>
> This differs from most other papers that I have read that use theoretical
> simulations.

Yes, IMHO you *need* the real world simulations (and even then it is very easy
to make measurement mistakes and arrive at arbitrary conclusions [1]). I
started to only trust big real world deployments.

Thanks for the link, still have to read it in detail. BTW: the conclusion
section of this paper already confirms our previous discussion about reducing
txpower: "Currently hop counts up to 5 are achievable with routing protocols in
the full 7x7 grid when the power is set to 0dBm with 30 dB attenuators."

;-)

a.

[1] @ARTICLE{Kurkowski05manetsimulation,
    author = {Stuart Kurkowski and Tracy Camp and Michael Colagrosso},
    title = {Manet simulation studies: The incredibles},
    journal = {ACM SIGMOBILE Mobile Computing and Communications Review},
    year = {2005},
    volume = {9},
    pages = {50--61}
}