Thanks to Edgar for copying me on this: it sounds like I asked at the right
time. There were some OpenMP-internal discussions on this a couple of years
ago, and a straw proposal, but at that time there was no obvious interest
on the MPI side. So we'd have to go back and look at the ideas that came up
at the time.
Barbara