>From a recent ChangeLog entry:
| Part 1 of 2 of a commit to reduce filenames in the romio component
| (because we kept bumping up against the max filename limit in "tar"
| when making tarballs, especially if the version number got long).

If you can allow to limit developers to Automake >= 1.9, you should be
able to use longer file names by selecting a different tar format than
tar-v7, e.g., tar-pax or tar-ustar.  Automake docs suggest that ustar
should be widely usable, in contrast to the rather recent but POSIX pax
format.  ustar does not have the length limit.
If you want to stick to tar-v7, you might want to check out the
"filename-length-max=99" Automake option to tell you about long names
right away.

Cheers,
Ralf