I think both patches should be put in immediately. I have done some simple testing, and with 128 nodes of odin, with 1024 processes running mpi hello, these decrease our running time from about 14.2 seconds to 10.9 seconds. This is a significant decrease, and as the scale increases there should be increasing benefit.

I'd be happy to commit these changes if no one objects.

Tim