Thanks George. I figured out the problem (two of them actually) based on a pointer from Gleb (thanks Gleb). I have two types of send queues on the UD BTL -- one is per-module, and the other is per-endpoint. I had missed looking for stuck frags on the per-endpoint queues.

So something is wrong with the per-endpoint queues and their interaction with the per-module queue. Disabling the per-endpoint queue makes the problem go away, and I'm not sure I liked having them in the first place.

But this still left a similar problem at 2kb messages. I had static limits set for free list lengths based on the btl_ofud_sd_num MCA parameter. Switching the max to unlimited makes this problem go away too. Good enough to get some runs through for now :)

Andrew

George Bosilca wrote:
Andrew,

There is an option on the message queue stuff, that allow you to see all internal pending requests. On the current trunk, edit the file ompi/debuggers/ompi_dll.s at line 736 and set the p_info->show_internal_requests to 1. Now compile and install it, and then restart totalview. You should be able to get access to all pending requests, even those created by the collective modules.

Moreover, the missing sends should be somewhere. If they are not in the BTL, and i they are not completed, then hopefully they are in the PML in the send_pending list. As the collective works on all other BTL I suppose the communication pattern is correct, so there is something happening with the requests when using the UD BTL.

If the requests are not in the PML send_pending queue, the next thing you can do is to modify the receive handles in the OB1 PML, and print all incoming match header. You will have to somehow sort the output, but at least you can figure out, what is happening with the missing messages.

  george.