I obviously won't be in Dublin (I'll be in a fishing boat in the middle of nowhere Canada -- much better), so I'm going to chime in now.

The m4 part actually isn't too bad and is pretty simple. I'm not sure other than looking at some variables set by ompi_config_asm that there is much to check. The hard parts are dealing with the finer grained instruction set requirements.

On x86 in particular, many of the operations in the memcpy are part of SSE, SSE2, or SSE3. Currently, we don't have any finer concept of a processor than x86 and most compilers target an instruction set that will run on anything considered 686, which is almost everything out there. We'd have to decide how to handle instruction streams which are no longer going to work on every chip. Since we know we have a number of users with heterogeneous x86 clusters, this is something to think about.

Brian