On Feb 17, 2009, at 2:05 PM, George Bosilca wrote:

I can confirm it at least on MAC OS X and Linux. Based on IEEE Std 1003.1-2008, if the argument of the free function is null, no action should occur. So I guess most POSIX compliant environments support the NULL argument.

Sounds good. Terry just confirmed for me that it's also true for all versions of Solaris.

It's amusing, though -- this check has been in the OMPI code base literally since the very beginning, and this is the first notable time it has been tripped. Should we leave it in there (and leave in my libevent change)? I.e., free(NULL) may be harmless, but it may signify a bug.