Hi all.. I have to contact you again about the issues related to
dlopen()ing libmpi with RTLD_LOCAL, as many dynamic languages (Python
in my case) do.

So far, I've been able to manage the issues (despite the "do nothing"
policy from Open MPI devs, which I understand) in a more or less
portable manner by taking advantage of the availability of libtool
ltdl symbols in the Open MPI libraries (specifically, in libopen-pal).
For reference, all this hackery is here:
http://code.google.com/p/mpi4py/source/browse/trunk/src/compat/openmpi.h

However, I noticed that in current trunk (v1.4, IIUC) things have
changed and libtool symbols are not externally available. Again, I
understand the reason and acknowledge that such change is a really
good thing. However, this change has broken all my hackery for
dlopen()ing libmpi before the call to MPI_Init().

Is there any chance that libopen-pal could provide some properly
prefixed (let say, using "opal_" as a prefix) wrapper calls to a small
subset of the libtool ltdl API? The following set of wrapper calls
would is the minimum required to properly load libmpi in a portable
manner and cleanup resources (let me abuse of my previous suggestion
and add the opal_ prefix):

opal_lt_dlinit()
opal_lt_dlexit()

opal_lt_dladvise_init(a)
opal_lt_dladvise_destroy(a)
opal_lt_dladvise_global(a)
opal_lt_dladvise_ext(a)

opal_lt_dlopenadvise(n,a)
opal_lt_dlclose(h)

Any chance this request could be considered? I would really like to
have this before any Open MPI tarball get released without libtool
symbols exposed...

--
Lisandro Dalcín