These two issues are completely orthogonal.

On one side, MPI_LOGICALx is not defined by the MPI standard but it is supported by several others MPI libraries and as it match a C type it is easy to implement.

On the other side, MPI_COMPLEX4 is defined by the MPI standard as an optional datatype (MPI 2.2 page 451) which doesn't make it mandatory (sic!), is supported by few others MPI libraries but as it doesn't match any C type it is really difficult to implement.

As far as I'm concerned the current behavior is correct, and there is no need to change it.

  george.