No big deal one way or the other. It's a symbolic gesture against bit rot, I suppose. The fact is that there are different pieces of the code base that move forward while vestiges of old stuff get left behind elsewhere. At first, it's easier to leave that stuff in. With time, the history gets forgotten and there gets left more and more mysterious stuff that future developers have to figure out.

Let's say there's code that doesn't do anything. One can ask, "Why not just leave it in?" Or, one can ask, "Why not just strip it out?"

This particular case (*.conf enable_progress) is minor. Either way, things are fine. My concern is more around the accumulation of many such instances.