On 2/18/2013 5:10 PM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) wrote:
WHAT: Remove all Windows code from the trunk.

WHY: This issue keeps coming up over and over and over...

[cut]
2. Remove all Windows code.  This involves some wholesale removing of
components as well as a bunch of #if code throughout the code base.

   ==> Removing this code can probably be done in multiple SVN commits:

2a. Removing Windows-only components (which, given the rate of change that we
are planning for the trunk, may well need to be re-written if they are ever
re-introduced into the tree).

Cygwin does not use them. I'm currently building the trunk packages with

--enable-mca-no-build=paffinity,installdirs-windows,timer-windows,shmem-sysv,if-windows,shmem-windows

to specifically exclude them

2b. Removing "#if WINDOWS" code (e.g., in opal/util/*, etc.).  This code may
not be changing as much as the rest of the trunk, and may be suitable for svn reverting
someday.

This does kill Cygwin support, too.  I realize we have a downstream packager
for Cygwin, but the fact that we can't get any developer support for Windows --
despite multiple appeals -- seems to imply that the Windows Open MPI audience
is very, very small.  So while it feels a bit sad to kill it, it may still be
the Right Thing to do.

I assume it is __WINDOWS__
That is not defined on cygwin, so the build should survive

This is a proposal, and is open for discussion.

Regards
Marco