The error messages already output the name of the other proc, so that should be
available. Besides, I just spent all yesterday afternoon auditing our MPI
layers memory usage byte-by-byte and getting my ears burned about the need to
reduce that footprint - not really thrilled about adding to it.

I think the key here is to only do this reduction when directed to do so. It
only benefits really big scale, which is the exception and not the rule. And if
someone in that scenario wants the error output, they can just ask for it
(assuming their sys admin defaulted it to not include the hostname).