Josh, please have a look at:

https://lisas.de/git/?p=open-mpi.git;a=commitdiff;h=5d5edafa36605ca7650eafa7f99fa1985641e488

I moved the parameter initialization to sstore_stage_register() and can
now see that the variables are correctly used:

$ orterun --mca sstore_stage_verbose 30
[...]
[dcbz:02880] sstore:stage: open()
[dcbz:02880] sstore:stage: open: priority   = 10
[dcbz:02880] sstore:stage: open: verbosity  = 30
[dcbz:02880] sstore:stage: open: Local snapshot directory = /tmp
[dcbz:02880] sstore:stage: open: Is Global dir. shared    = False
[dcbz:02880] sstore:stage: open: Node Local Caching       = Disabled
[dcbz:02880] sstore:stage: open: Compression              = Disabled
[dcbz:02880] sstore:stage: open: Compression Delay        = 0
[dcbz:02880] sstore:stage: open: Skip FileM (Debug Only)  = False