George,

Just my USD0.02:

With pthreads many system calls (mostly those that might block) become
"cancellation points" where the implementation checks if the callinf thread
has been cancelled.
This means that a thread making any of those calls may simply never return
(calling pthread_exit() internally), unless extra work has been done to
prevent this default behavior.
This makes it very hard to write code that properly cleans up its
resources, including (but not limited to) file descriptors and malloc()ed
memory.
Even if Open MPI is written very carefully, one cannot assume that all the
libraries it calls (and their dependencies, etc.) are written to properly
deal with cancellation.

-Paul