It sounds more like a suboptimal usage of the pthread cancelation
helpers than a real issue with the pthread_cancel itself. I do agree
the usage is not necessarily straightforward even for a veteran coder,
but the related issues remain belong to the realm of implementation
not at the conceptual level.

  George.