On Jul 16, 2014, at 3:08 PM, Joshua Ladd <jladd.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ralph warned me that no matter what decision we made, someone would probably
> violently object. So, with that in mind, let me put my diplomat hat on...

FWIW, I don't think my objections here have been "violent".

> Dave, I'm sorry you view this as a "crapification" of your mpirun user
> interface. Your lament is duly noted and we are happy to work with you to
> come to (yet another) happy compromise. It's unfortunate that the issue
> wasn't raised during the dev meeting when these decisions were made (you were
> sitting right next to me while I discussed this out loud with Jeff and
> Ralph.) At the time, it seemed all interested parties had expressed their
> concern and voiced their opinion on the matter, and the implementation you
> see in the trunk today, including the decision to deprecate the "-x" option,
> was the generally agreed upon consensus.

I think I misunderstood that the "-x" option was going away altogether, so
sorry for the after-the-fact complaints.  Probably poor listening on my part,
but I don't think that changes my opinion on the UI impact.

I'm aware that I'm in the minority here.  I don't think that I care enough to
continue arguing over this, so let's just let it be as-is.  An enhancement to
permit some form of delimiter escaping would probably still be nice, but is low
priority.

-Dave