A BTL should be completely agnostic to the notions of vpid and jobid.
Unfortunately, as you mentioned, some of the BTLs are relying on this
information in diverses ways.

- If they rely for output purposes, this is a trivial matter as a BTL is
supposed to rely upward any error and some upper layer will decide how to
handle it. As the callers are in the OMPI layer, they can output the meaningful
message (including rank and what not).

- Some other BTLs use this information to create connections. Clearly not the
best decision, as it bit us for quite some time (as an example being the major
reason preventing SM support across different MPI worlds). Moreover, other
programming paradigms that can use the BTLs, are not subject to a rank-base
concept. Thus, this usage should be banned and replaced by a more sensible
approach (to be defined). Until then, the current solution provide an
acceptable band-aid.

George.

PS: The PML and MTL remaining at the OMPI later do not create any issues with
accessing the local or the MPI rank.