As a follow-on. How many of our supported architectures should we
continue to support. The current supported list is:

alpha
amd64*
arm*
ia32*
ia64
mips
osx*
powerpc*
sparcv9
sync_builtin*

* - known to be in-use.

Additionally, should we continue to support the atomics in opal/asm?
Some of those are known to be wrong and most compilers support in-line
assembly.

-Nathan