We compiled OpenMPI 2.1.1 using the EasyBuild configuration
for CentOS as below and tested on Mellanox QDR hardware.

./configure --prefix=/homes/daveturner/libs/openmpi-2.1.1c
                 --enable-shared
                 --enable-mpi-thread-multiple
                 --with-verbs
                 --enable-mpirun-prefix-by-default
                 --with-mpi-cxx
                 --enable-mpi-cxx
                 --with-hwloc=$EBROOTHWLOC
                 --disable-dlopen

The red curve in the attached NetPIPE graph shows the poor performance above
8 kB for the uni-directional tests with bi-directional and aggregate
tests also showing similar problems.  When I compile using the same
configuration but with the --disable-dlopen parameter removed then the
performance is very good as the green curve in the graph shows.

We see the same problems with OpenMPI 2.0.2.
Replacing --disable-dlopen with --disable-mca-dso showed good performance.
Replacing --disable-dlopen with --enable-static showed good performance.
So it's only --disable-dlopen that leads to poor performance.

http://netpipe.cs.ksu.edu

                   Dave Turner

--
Work:     davetur...@ksu.edu     (785) 532-7791
             2219 Engineering Hall, Manhattan KS  66506