Ah, this sounds familiar.

I believe that the issue Dave sees is that without patcher/overwrite the
"leave pinned" protocol is OFF by default.

Use of '-mca mpi_leave_pinned 1' may help if my guess is right.
HOWEVER, w/o the memory management hooks provided using patcher/overwrite,
leave pinned can give incorrect results.

-Paul

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 9:17 PM, Gilles Gouaillardet <
gilles.gouaillar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> here is what I found
>
>  - MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE is not part of the equation (I just found it is
> no more required by IMB by default)
>  - patcher/overwrite is not built when Open MPI is configure'd with
> --disable-dlopen
>  - when configure'd without --disable-dlopen, performances are way
> worst for the IMB (PingPong) benchmark when ran with
>    mpirun --mca patcher ^overwrite
>  - OSU (osu_bw) performances are not impacted by the patcher/overwrite
> component being blacklisted
>
> I am afraid that's all I can do ...
>

> Nathan,
>
> could you please shed some light ?
>

> Cheers,
>
> Gilles
>
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 1:29 PM, Gilles Gouaillardet
> <gilles.gouaillar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dave,
> >
> > i can reproduce the issue with btl/openib and the IMB benchmark, that
> > is known to MPI_Init_thread(MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE)
> >
> > note performance is ok with OSU benchmark that does not require
> > MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Gilles
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 1:16 PM, Gilles Gouaillardet <gil...@rist.or.jp>
> wrote:
> >> Dave,
> >>

> >> one more question, are you running the openib/btl ? or other libraries
> such
> >> as MXM or UCX ?
> >>

> >> Cheers,
> >>

> >> Gilles

> performance.
> performance.

> 532-7791

Paul H. Hargrove <phhargr...@lbl.gov>
Computer Languages & Systems Software (CLaSS) Group
Computer Science Department
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory