Thanks a lot for writing all this.

At the end
https://github.com/open-mpi/ompi/wiki/GitSubmodules#adding-a-new-submodule-pointing-to-a-specific-commit
should "bar" be "bar50x" in line "$ git add bar" ?

It seems to me that you are in opal/mca/foo and the new submodule is in
"bar50x" (according to "cd opal/mca/foo/bar50x" at the beginning).

There's also a "bar-50x" instead of "bar50x" in line "git submodule add
--name bar-50x ...". Should the submodule name match the directory name?

By the way, in
https://github.com/open-mpi/ompi/wiki/GitSubmodules#updating-the-commit-that-a-submodule-refers-to
you may want to rename hwloc201 into hwloc2 to avoid confusion and match
the current PR.

Brice (who cannot edit the wiki :))