Hello Masoud,

Responded inline

Thanks,
William

From: devel <devel-boun...@lists.open-mpi.org> on behalf of Masoud Hemmatpour
via devel <devel@lists.open-mpi.org>
Date: Wednesday, April 20, 2022 at 5:29 AM
To: Open MPI Developers <devel@lists.open-mpi.org>
Cc: Masoud Hemmatpour <mashe...@gmail.com>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [OMPI devel] RDMA and OMPI implementation

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click
links or open attachments unless you can confirm the sender and know the
content is safe.

Hello Everyone,

Sorry, MPI is quite new for me, in particular the implementation. If you don't
mind, I have some very basic questions regarding the OMPI implementation.

If I use one-sided MPI operations (Get, and Put) forcefully I use RDMA? – It
depends, but it’s not guaranteed. For example, in Open MPI 4.0.x, there was the
osc/pt2pt component that implemented osc operations using send/receive. Or for
example, with calls to libfabric’s osc api, it depends on the implementation of
the underlying provider.
Is it possible to have one-sided without RDMA? - Yes

In general, other types of MPI operations like Send/Receive or collective
operations are implemented using RDMA or not necessarily? – Not necessarily.
For example, using TCP won’t use RDMA. The underlying communication protocol
could very well implement send/receive using RDMA though.

How can I be sure that I am using RDMA for a specific operation? – I’m not sure
there’s an easy way to do this, I think you have to have some understanding of
what communication protocol you’re using and what that protocol is doing.

Thank you very much in advance for your help!
Best Regards,