On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 12:20:47PM +0200, Martin Quinson wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> this is a common concern for the translation of libre resources. It
> would be indeed better if English would not be such a central language in
> our systems, for many reasons. Using esperanto as a pivot language
> instead would indeed be a very pleasant change. But to be honnest, I
> doubt to see that in my lifetime. There is too few esperanto speaker in
> the world in general, and in libre communities in particular. We would
> probably not have that many contributors to po4a if esperanto were a
> prerequisite for that...

I would agree with you but ... let's "hope" like the word Esperanto suggests... 
;-)

> Plus, actually, nothing in po4a nor in po forces to use english as a
> pivot language. It's just the habit. And the message you are refering too
> is some sort of a shortcut. The sentence is already complex enough that I
> did not felt to make it worse by changing "English" to "original
> language" here. If you have a better formulation that is both more
> neutral and simpler, I'd be glad to integrate it.

Good to know since I knew that also gettext is not anymore "English centric".
I am not a English native speaker so my English is far from perfect.
Therefore I won't suggest a "better" rephrasing (as I am not able to do it 
myself)
but perhaps you can pass on this little piece of information inserting just 
this:

"Let's say our original source reference (or pivot, your choice here) language 
is English."

So it would be:

"The idea is to reuse and adapt the gettext approach to this field. As with "
"gettext, texts are extracted from their original locations and presented to "
"translators as PO translation catalogs. The translators can leverage the "
"classical gettext tools to monitor the work to do, collaborate and organize "
"as teams. po4a then injects the translations directly into the documentation "
"structure to produce translated source files that can be processed and "
"distributed just like the s/English/original source/ files.

"Let's say our original source reference language is English. "

"Any paragraph that is not "
"translated is left in English in the resulting document, ensuring that the "
"end users never see an outdated translation in the documentation."

> Thanks for noticing,

you're welcome.

--

Saluton,
Marco Ciampa
_______________________________________________
Devel mailing list -- [email protected]
To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]

Reply via email to