4.11.2013 02:10, Artem Marchenko:
I'd appreciate some UI guidelines voice from Jolla here (I can understands they might have not thought of this use case before, well, it's time for it then :)).

Looking at iOS and Android, it might be not a bad idea to have a phone UI without an explicit file interface at all. Hackers won't appreciate it, but they have terminal anyway and, well, for them you can create a custom File Open dialog.

Regular users might appreciate a photo choosing dialog guaranteed to include all device photos more.
Yeah, I think those two are not mutually exclusive & doable. IIRC there should be Tracker, so it should be possible to get all photos or any other categories of files Tracker can discern (all audio files, all txt files, all PDFs). But on the other hand, some applications just won't do without a standard file-chooser, like a text editor, offline comic book reader, an image editor. At least without getting and putting the files on a global file heap, making finding stuff difficult. Of course a lot can be done with tags and semantic stuff (where did the file come from, what app made it), but as shown by the KDE & GNOME projects (Nepomuk, Akonadi, Tracker, etc.) it is not easy to get right. Just having a simple time-proven file open dialog is IMHO a much simpler, easier & safer solution.

BTW, Android and to a lesser degree Harmattan could be used as a bad example of what happens if there is no default file dialog - every app that needs it would implement their own, all looking different (and not native) and every one of them with their own set of drawbacks.

Cheers,
Artem.